About Sean Ruttkay the artist
Today, Ruttkay brings his life’s work, from vivid pounding surf to tranquil tropical waterfalls, into focus.
“I do focus a lot on water,” Ruttkay says. ”I think it’s one of those elements that every person, regardless of orientation, has a natural affinity with and if I can somehow capture water in its natural state, it will be instantly stimulating to the viewer.”
Stimulating, some might say, is an understatement. When Ruttkay’s vision is at its most remarkable is when he enlarges his images to grand proportion and enhances them using a variety of artistic methods. Ruttkay creates all of his large-format installations in his barn like studio in Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina.
“When I am in my studio I am working in the most creative stages of my process.” Ruttkay explains. “It is here where decided which direction I want to take a piece.”
In Ruttkay’s vernacular, “direction” in art production is code for creating a piece that is either hyper-realistic or mind warping abstract. His hyper-realistic pieces are created by using transparent compounds that add texture and the illusion of movement. Ruttkay’s abstract pieces are developed using a variety of material and application techniques.
From the water, to the studio, to the installation, whether it’s vivid realism or avant-garde abstraction, Ruttkay is sure to tantalize your visual senses and soothe the soul in the process. – Clare Parker, Our State Magazine
- ‘Aqueous Art in the Built Environment’
- ‘Water in the Golf Landscape’
- -‘The Aesthetic of Water and the 3D illusion’
- -‘The Benjamin Project’
- -‘Historical Abstractions’
- -‘Philosophers and charcoal’
- -Environmental Psychology – “Is water the best visual content in the built environment?”
- -Entrepreneurship – “How to sell ART in our time?
- -Economics – “Why does ART sell?”
- 2014 “Harmony“, PH21 Gallery, Budapest, Hungary
- 2013 “Last Minute Holiday Show“, Annex Gallery, Wrightsville Beach, NC
- 2013 “The Aesthetic of Water“, University of North Carolina at Wilmington Randall Library
- 2013 “Time Abstraction Show”, Annex Gallery, Wrightsville Beach, NC
- 2013 “420 Art Show“, Lighthouse Garden, Wrightsville Beach, NC
- 2010 “Reef 7th Annual Reef Sweetheart Pro-Am, Inaugural Art Show“, , Wrightsville Beach, NC
- 2008 “Santa’s Coming to Town”, Cafe Del Mar Wrightsville Beach, NC
- 2006 “Visions of Tuscany”, Discovery Galleries, Bethesda, MD
- Duke Medicine
- University of North Carolina Wilmington (UNCW)
- Live Oak Bank
- Quail Hollow Country Club
- The Davis Community
- Wilmington Health Associates
- North Carolina Aquarium At Fort Fisher
- The Surfers Journal
- The Surfer’s Path Magazine
- Reef Sandals
- Big Sky Design
- K38 Restaurant Group
- Catch Restaurant
- Stone Bridge and Associates Inc.
- BPP Law Firm – Broadwell | Phillips | Potter
- Surf City Surf Shop
- Annex Surf Supply
- Lighthouse Beer & Wine
- Sweetwater Surf Shop
- Dimock and Weinberg DDS PA
- 2014 Cameron School of Business CIE Building Installation
- 2013 University of North Carolina at Wilmington Randall Library Installation
- 2013 University of North Carolina at Wilmington
- 2012 Abstract Art Gallery International Abstract Art Competition 1st Place, “Unfolding Circumstances”
- 2013 “The Aesthetic of Water”, University of North Carolina at Wilmington Randall Library, September 26, 2013.
- 2013 ‘The Artist as Entrepreneur’ – Cameron School of Business, Entrepreneurship Week, University of North Carolina at Wilmington
- 2012 ‘The Artist as Entrepreneur’ – Cameron School of Business, Entrepreneurship Week, University of North Carolina at Wilmington
- 2009 ‘How to sell Art’ – Cameron School of Business, Entrepreneurship Week, University of North Carolina at Wilmington
- Clare Parker, “Big, Bold, and Lifelike,” Our State Magazine, May 2013. 28.
- Sean D. Ruttkay, “Death of a Super Storm,” The Surfer’s Path, March 2013. 24.
- Sean D. Ruttkay, “Beyond the Barrier,” The Surfer’s Journal, Vol. 17, Number 3, p.66-71.
- Ashlea Kosikowski, “Painting in Public,” WECT-TV, Wilmington, NC, June 12, 2013.
- Frances Weller, “Artist Captures Russian Meteor,” WECT-TV, Wilmington, NC, Feb. 15, 2013.
- Zach Hunt, “Live at the EDAsurf Artist Studio,” WECT-TV, Wilmington, NC, May 31, 2012.
- Eastbound & Down (2011–2012)
- “Tracking Sandy: Part 1,” Surfline.com, Oct. 27,2012. (cover)
- “Battle of the Banks,” Surfline.com, April. 10, 2011. 1 photo
- “Looking Back At Last Week’s East Coast Winter Swell,” Surfline.com, Jan. 4 ,2011.
- “North Carolina Paddle Battle,” Surfline.com, April 28,2011.
- “Spring Fling,” Surfline.com, May. 3, 2008.
- “Iron Man Three” (2013)
- Decorated Triathlete
- Nationally Competitive Beach Lifeguard
- Husband and Father (family man)